Friday, April 13, 2018

Equal pay: here's how it's done.

Unequal pay for men and women makes me want to rip my hair out.
I've worked my ass off for the last 20 years in science and medicine, and nothing makes me more irate than seeing that I'll be paid less because I have a vagina. I work hard, usually harder than most. I'm not the smartest person in the room, but I will likely outwork 99% of my peers. Not to mention that the bulk of my male peers (and friends) doing my same job have wives that cook, clean, and generally make their lives ridiculously easy. Few to no women get a similar improvement in their home life when they marry a man.

Here is a CEO that gets it and fixed it. Well done sir. I hope other CEOs learn from you. This is how we do it (courtesy of Montell Jordan - feel free to sing that last sentence ;).

Below taken from Axios AM:
'On "60 Minutes" on Sunday, Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff tells Lesley Stahl how he bridged pay inequities between men and women:
  • “I've had CEOs call me and say, ‘This is not true. This is not real.’ And I'll say to them, ‘This is true. Look at the numbers.’” 
  • In 2015, Benioff was skeptical that a pay audit would show a disparity at Salesforce, but it did. He had to spend $3 million on raises for women to erase that gap. 
  • After Salesforce acquired other firms, another pay audit revealed the gap had returned. He paid another $3 million in raises to fix it.
  • “We're going to have to do this continuously … constantly monitor and keep track."
  • “CEOs with one button on one computer can pay every man and every woman equally. We have the data."
  • “You can't be a great CEO and say that I'm not committed to gender equality today.” '
https://www.axios.com/newsletters/axios-am

No comments:

Post a Comment