Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Maybe I have a little Republican in me...and so do you

No, I don't have a small mini-me inside my brain that looks like Newt Gingrich. But, I am a complicated person with values that cross the divide between the political groups. A piece in Axios today talks about how and why Democrats and Republicans have become so divided since the early 1990s. One of the most shocking items in the story is the poll showing that 75% of liberals and conservatives reported not wanting to live next to anyone from the other side of the aisle.

I began to ponder if there was any items I actually agreed with conservatives about, and I managed to surprise myself. 

1.) A balanced budget - if I have to do this so should our government
2.) A strong military - within reason
3.) Strong families and social networks - though not defined in a traditional heterosexual, married kind of way

Maybe if we consider and discuss our common goals (rather than our rage-inducing differences), then we'll want to live next to each other again. Because it is nuts that we can't be in close proximity to certain people simply because we disagree. We are not toddlers.

https://www.axios.com/axios-am-2509201075.html?rebelltitem=1&utm_medium=linkshare&utm_campaign=organic#rebelltitem1


No comments:

Post a Comment